Today you are you! That is truer than true!
There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” Dr Seuss
You are unique, and finding the real you is the main aim from the work that I do
Life is a riddle and a rhyme sometimes, and can be a bit of a roller coaster and no matter how old you are the riddle can take you in the wrong direction, sometimes you feel like the roller coaster is always on the way down. I work with children, parents, families and professionals to help to find a better way forward.
My name is Janet Cassidy and I started my work with children as a teaching assistant in a school, often working one to one with children with special needs. I was always puzzled why children behaved, and reacted so differently, and this led me on a journey of self-discovery and training.
I very quickly moved to working as a Home / School Link Worker in the same school where I remained for the next 10 years. During this time I trained as a Play Therapist, Filial Therapist, a Clinical Supervisor and a Dyadic Developmental Practitioner; and am currently working my way to becoming a Sandplay Therapist! There is always more to learn, and more to know!
Branching out on my own as a therapist, clinical supervisor and trainer I have worked extensively in schools, with many children and families who have experienced extreme trauma and abuse, and have my own private practice based in Pirbright, Surrey. This might be working one to one with children, or with their parents, or with both together, and even with the people who support these families.
My aim is to make life better for those who are struggling and make a difference to families who face daily challenges that often seem impossible to change. Exploring past and present difficulties I hope to help others to see another way forward, making sense of past experiences, and finding a positive way to move on.
Qualifications and Professional Information
- HND in Advanced Practice in Working with Children and Families
- Post Graduate Certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills
- Post Graduate Diploma in Practice Based Play Therapy
- PTUK Certified Play Therapist
- PTUK Certified Supervisor
- Registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing ) levels I, II and III
- Surrey CC Clinical Supervisor
- Member of Association of Sandplay Therapists (AST)
- On the accredited register of Play Therapists with the Professional Standards Authority, for Health and Social Care (PSA)
- DDPI Level One Training in Dyadic Developmental Practice and Psychotherapy (DDP)
- DDPI Level Two Training in Dyadic Developmental Practice and Psychotherapy (DDP)
- Intensive Filial Therapy Training Programme with Risé Van Fleet
- Practitioner in Therapeutic Sandplay Skills – Stage 1
- I hold an enhanced DBS Disclosure check and hold comprehensive public liability insurance. I abide by the PTUK Ethical Frameworks for Good Practice and by their complaints procedures.